Monday, November 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Baby Girl!

One year ago today, I laid in a hospital bed holding my newborn daughter, gazing down at her, soaking in every bit of her new baby goodness, amazed that once again, I was bestowed this gift of life - this miracle - that I was allowed the honor of bringing another new life into the world.

My morning started by waking around 4am and having to use the bathroom, only to discover I was spotting. I was just 5 days away from my due date, and the presence of some blood, be it a small amount, but blood no less, left me worried. I woke Karl to tell him what was going on...and went to the bathroom again, only to see a bit more spotting. I put a call into the doctor, and the doctor on call, said it was most likely nothing but to go into the ER just the same, better to be safe than sorry. So around 5am that morning, after our friend Jay came to stay with Trevor, off we went to the hospital. I was registered and immediately brought up to L&D, and hooked up to monitors. I was contracting every 2-3 minutes and they were becoming more painful as they went on.

Long story short, after much discussion about whether to keep me or send me home, my doctor arrived and decided that with the contractions coming so quickly, the fact I was dilated to 3cm, he gave the ok to admit me and prep me for my c/section. I had originally been scheduled to have a c/section on the following Monday - 11/26.

After that things, got rock-n-rollin' pretty quickly! Before I knew it I was walking down the hall to the OR - its like taking your final walk ...lol...you go in as one and come out as two...

And finally, at 11:28am, Victoria Shannon made her appearance - 8lbs 13oz and 19.75 inches - full head of black hair - and every bit as gorgeous as I had imagined.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Victoria,

I can't begin to tell you how much my heart ached for you...how I dreamed about you....all of this before you were ever conceived...I knew you in my heart before I knew you were in the womb. It took us over 2.5 yrs to conceive you, but I believe when they say, good things come to those who wait. You were every bit worth the wait and then some!

It seems like just yesterday we brought you home from the hospital - so tiny - so beautiful - so dependent on us. Those first nights when you were up all night are just such distant memories now. I have watched you blossom and grow over the past year - watched all your "firsts" - watching as the love you have for Trevor grows more each day.

You have this way about you, where you can make everyone around you smile. Your personality is so much larger than life! I am honored to be your mother! I love you more than you can possibly know.

It is in thanks to you and your brother, that I can say I know what love is. Your father and I are blessed beyond words!

Happy 1st Birthday Victoria!

I love you!!! xoxoxo

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Victoria!November 24th is a wonderful day for a birthday!

    ReplyDelete