Monday, June 22, 2009

VBS

Trevor went to VBS for the first time today at the church he attends with my family. He seemed pretty pumped for it, till he got there.

There was a pretty big turn-out, not to mention, he was under the impression that my niece would be there, but she is at camp for the summer. I could seem him looking around hesitantly...I could see the nervousness in his eyes.

A young girl came up and asked him what grade he was going in to, and led him by the hand to sit down. My heart was in my throat - would he be ok? They had my number in case of emergency, as well as moms....

My heart sank watching him...it's times like this where his disorder really "shines" through, for lack of a better word. I wanted to scoop him up and protect him. And I really fought with myself on whether to take him home or let him stay.

I was so happy when I went to pick him up at noon and found that he was having a good time. He found some kids from his preschool class and some other kids from church, so at least he "knew" someone.

I left it up to him whether he wanted to go back tomorrow and he said, "yes", so I guess all is ok!

Man...parenting is hard enough...but parenting a special needs child is even harder I dare say...it's a constant roller coaster of emotions, worries, dr.'s appointments, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment