Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Yes, I am that mom...thank you very much!

Hi, my name is Erin, and I am *that mom*!

See, for quite some time now Vicky has been able to get herself out of the seat belt in shopping carts - she's so skinny that despite how tight I make it, she's able to slip out of it, which then results with her trying to stand in that little seat part, giving me a near heart attack. I went and bought this other harness thing that Velcros, so that I could put her in that as well as the shopping cart belt, but guess what? She's so tiny, that I've got it tightened as much as possible, and she still is able to slip her arms out of that one and wiggle out.

So shopping with Vic has become something of a fiasco. I'll be honest, I pretty much dread it!

As luck would have it, I found myself at Wal-Mart today with Vic and my sister. We aren't even in the store 2 minutes, when Vic has worked her magic and is proceeding to stand in the seat, so I take her down, because when she does this, it literally takes two people to be able to bend her legs to get them back through the holes, all while she's stiff as a board and screaming like I am murdering her. But the kicker is, lil Miss Independent does not want to hold hands...well, I don't feel Wal-Mart is the place for a 22 mth old to walk freely...and when I attempted to take her hand, she got ....what's the word I want to use....hmmm...fiesty....yeah, that's probably an understatement at best....so I walked with her pushing the cart with one hand, holding her hand with the other despite her protests....and we walked right over to the little children's "jewelry" and I picked out a three pack of plastic bracelets and gave them to her to hold and keep her quiet, and bribe her into holding my hand. And for the most part it worked, till she saw a very cute princess-sy play cell phone and wanted to swap out her bracelets for that, and I did...and she walked through the store "chatting" away on her phone....and finally she asked to go back into the cart - the large part, not the actual seat, but it was something, right? And for the last few minutes of our trip, she sat there with her new cell phone, happy, content, and most importantly sitting on her butt, not trying to run wild and free.

So there you have it....I am that mom....the mom who will occasionally give her toddler a treat at the store to keep them quiet and bribe them into good behavior. I know, I know...it's wrong on so many levels....I am going to raise a spoiled brat....she'll need therapy for years to come.....oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, but for now, this mama needs some peace now and again, and I am not above buying it!

2 comments:

  1. Bribery is a good thing. I have bribed all 4 of my kids at different times and they all turned out (for the most part) fine caring and generous individuals. Bribe away mama, bribe away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bribery is wrong? Damn, I didn't get that parenting memo.

    ReplyDelete