Monday, October 26, 2009

Thankful....part one

In 2001, during our struggle to get pregnant, I stumbled upon a parenting website. At the time I used it mostly for it's conception tools - like a calendar, etc. In 2003, when I finally found myself pregnant, I joined the message boards. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine what would take place over the next 6 years.

I've been to this website almost daily for the past 6 years - shared two pregnancies - many struggles - lots of heartache like when my dad passed away and when I learned Trevor had Aspergers Syndrome - shared joys like my children's first tooth or first steps, etc. I've debated the hottest of topics from religion to abortion. I've expanded my mind - become more accepting of those with differing opinions, etc.

The absolute greatest thing to have come from my time there is the friendships I have formed. See, I went there in the beginning merely for information, never expecting to make these friendships - it was the bonus on the cake so to speak!

I look at my Facebook page and see the 183 friends I have and I dare say 95% have been made through the parenting website. It's amazing the bond that can be formed with a group of women you haven't actually met in person!!

Over the years, I've watched as this website has gone through numerous changes, and lately they seem to have been for the worst....things just aren't the same there....and that bums me out....but at the same time I am so thankful for the gifts of friendship I have received thanks to it. How could I ever hate a place that brought me some of my most dear and precious friends? I can't! It's impossible!

I've been lucky enough to have met a few of them in person - hey Heather, remember visiting right after Victoria was born? :-) And come hell or high water, I will get to meet more of them - it's just a matter of time!

I admire so many of these women - the wealth of knowledge they bring to the table - the years of experience - the humor - the genuine kindness - trust me, nothing goes unnoticed and I can't begin to tell how appreciative I am!

Each and everyone of you mean something to me. I am so thankful to call you my friends!!! I love you all!

1 comment:

  1. ITA about the changes being for the worst. I haven't been back since the major overhaul. I just don't like it anymore and the boards are no longer easy to navigate. NSH seems like a dead zone now. I wish it was like it used to be.

    ReplyDelete