Thursday, February 4, 2010

How about a little mindless blogging?

I am trying to keep my mind busy right now ...you know so I don't get depressed by the happenings of the last few days...so here is some mindless blogging. 

I made spaghetti sauce Tuesday - I admit I have become a bit of a sauce snob. I refuse to use jarred sauce anymore and frankly, no one in the house would eat it if I did. I make a big batch of sauce and when it's gone we don't eat anything that needs sauce again, till I have made another batch. It's so easy and delicious to make!!! 

I decided to take inspiration from the "Pioneer Woman" and photograph my sauce making...so here it is in pictures! 

 
The veggies I start with: 
Green Pepper, Onions, Carrot and Celery

 
The rest of the ingredients: 
Tomato Sauce, Crushed Tomatoes, Italian Seasoning, Fresh Basil, 
Sausage, Garlic and Olive Oil

 
Heat the olive oil and add crushed garlic. I should note that I don't 
measure anything - just throw it in and taste and adjust as I go! 

 
Add the veggies to the pan and saute.

 
And here is the lovely marriage of yummy goodness....

 
And this is what those lovely veggies should look like when all 
cooked - they should be soft and translucent! 
At this point you'd transfer them to a large kettle and add your tomato
sauce, crushed tomatoes, 1 small can of tomato paste, a bit of 
olive oil, salt/pepper, and Italian seasoning. Remember, I don't measure
anything, so I can't give you exacts. Now, if you don't like a chunky sauce, and 
what I sometimes do, is run the veggies through a food processor or blender to smooth them
a bit. It's totally your call to make! 

 
And here it is in the pot simmering. After it's heated through and simmered
for a while, I add some sugar - not to make it sweet, but to cut the acidity a bit 
and so it's not bitter. But beware, too much sugar and you'll end up with a
tomato flavored ice cream topping! LOL!! 
At this point I just leave it simmering on low for several hours, stirring occasionally to make sure it's not
sticking or anything like that. 
At the very end I add another swig of olive oil and add my fresh basil. You don't want to 
add the basil in any sooner as it can get bitter that way. 


Last night I decided to use said sauce and make a lasagna ...
  
Lasagna ready for the oven....can we get a "yum"? 

 
And the final product - I usually like my cheese melted a bit more on top, 
but the natives were getting restless, so I took it out to feed them! LOL!!

After using what I needed for the lasagna I ended up with 4 - 5 cup containers of sauce in the freezer.

And while I am sharing pictures, here is one of my new toy:

 
I *LOVE* this!!!! Seriously I have no idea
how I lived without this!!! LOL!!




Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm not even a fan of red sauce (which is blasphemy, being married to an Italian with red-sauce-blooded kids) but your pics make it look aMAzing. I might even try it! :)

    ReplyDelete