Friday, April 9, 2010

Tears of joy!

I can not begin to express the amount of joy in my heart tonight as I come here to post that Trevor is coming home. Yes, we are going to have a homecoming! My baby boy will be coming home MONDAY! This has been an extremely long month for all of us and to see the light at the end of the tunnel is amazing. This has been one of the hardest months of my life....I am not sure if I can really sum it up in words how difficult it is to have your child away ....how difficult it is to walk into a hospital knowing you are there to admit your 6 yr old child...seems the right words escape me. It's one thing to know you are taking your child in for a procedure to be done and they will be out in x amount of days...but it's a whole other ballgame to walk your small child into the hospital knowing you are voluntarily having them admitted into a psychiatric unit. Others may judge us, but doing what we did was not easy and no decision ever is. But at the end of the day, we did what was best for the whole family.

We had another meeting today and they said they felt it was best to discharge him on a weekday, so that his services could start right back up. If they did it today, then that would leave two days without the support for us and him. And as much as I'd loved to have brought him home tonight, I think it makes perfect sense. He will come Monday and we can spend the rest of the day helping him transition back into the home, settling in, unpacking, unwinding. Tuesday he'll start back to school and in the afternoon his 65HCT worker will be here to start right back in on the support services. We've got a team meeting scheduled for Friday with his support workers and case manager here at home. It's nice to know everything is falling into place and we won't be left to flounder for days while everything starts back up.

We spoke and decided it would be best not to tell Trevor that he's coming home Monday. As I've mentioned before, Trevor has no concept of time. I felt that telling him three days in advance would be a cruel thing to do when he isn't able to grasp what three days is. I knew it would cause him to ask all day long would he be going home and I knew that when he was told "no" it might have the potential enough to upset him to the point of needing a time out and I just don't have the heart to do that to him. So as it stands right now, he knows we are coming up for another meeting Monday - only this time we'll be taking him home with us.

We will be a complete family again!

I've waited what seems like forever to say that!

Thanks to all my friends for the support during this time. I know that so much of my blog and my Facebook status messages have revolved around this and I thank you for listening to me, sticking by me, and understanding and giving your support. It has meant so much to me!



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment