Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Two year old tantrums!

Victoria was such a good baby all in all ...she would laugh and coo and giggle. She never had the issues Trevor did with the "GERD" and the colic. Foolishly, I let myself believe that she'd continue to be a relatively "easy" baby. However, once toddlerhood came around, it became quite clear that "easy" and "Victoria" would not be going together. Oh how she had me fooled! LOL!!

Take today for instance....going to the mall with my sister. Now keep in mind I live in the boonies, so our mall is very small, nothing to get excited about by any stretch of the imagination. I had forgotten my stroller, so we had to "rent" one from the mall. For .50 cents you get this *fabulous* stroller.....can you tell I am dripping with sarcasm? The stroller is all metal with a tiny basket underneath - no cup holder - no tray on it. My sister remembers using those same very strollers when my niece was this age...mind you Katie is now going to be 18 in less than a week. So these things are old and outdated and frankly uncomfortable to push unless you are no taller than a garden gnome!

So anyways, Vicky got pissed, plain and simple, because I wasn't letting her walk around the mall and was making her get into the stroller. She finally calmed down and things seemed ok. Here is where I went wrong again - I assumed things were going well. And we all know what happens when one assumes! LOL!

We go into Sears and I see they have several Jeep Toddler Harness's on sale for $9.98. I've debated back and forth about getting one for Victoria - we had one with Trevor and he loved it. I decide to go ahead and get her this - Jeep Lamb Baby Harness. In the end it was 50% off and I used my KMart/Sears rewards and it ended up being free. Woot! I love a good deal!

But back to the story, I got the harness and when we left Sears I decided to stop and put it on Victoria and give it a try. Sounds good, right? Nope! Oh she liked it but she thought she was going to go in the direction she wanted to and she was going to touch what she wanted to and run wherever she wanted to. Finally got her going in the direction I was headed and all seemed ok.....until....until we went into Fashion Bug for my sister to return something. Vicky thought she was going to push the empty (well had our purses and shopping bags) stroller around and everytime I tried to help her steer so she wouldn't knock anything or anyone over, she got pissed and started yelling at me. That was the end for me.

I marched her and the stroller out of Fashion Bug and we went over to a bench. I tried to get her to sit down but she thought she was going to take off and I was not letting that happen. She was screaming and carrying on....throwing herself around in my arms. So I put her back into the stroller and strapped her in. To say this made her angry is putting it mildy. She flipped out - more screaming, crying, spit flying, boogers running all over her face...oh she was a sight to see. Then she tried to bite me several times but was unsuccessful - go me! She did though manage to scratch me and slap my face once. Needless to say I did give her a swat on the behind.

I can't begin to tell you how many people of all ages walked by and snickered and sneered and whispered (some more loudly then others). I am so over people who feel the need to make comments or give dirty looks because I refuse to let my child walk all over me. I will not let her at 2.5 yrs old get her way. She has to learn and unfortunately for her, she's choosen the hard way, that she has to listen to me (and daddy). Yes, I know the screaming at the mall was horrible, but sometimes you just have to do what you know is best and if that means that the public has to listen to my child scream bloody murder for a few minutes so be it. Because one day the public will be thankful when my child has learned and is well-behaved young lady.

Unfortunately, Victoria has picked up some bad habits from when things were bad with Trevor - the hitting, spitting, etc....she has learned so much from Trevor....good but also the bad and I am going to do everything in my power to change that and turn that bad behavior around.

I know it can be done ....all the issues we've had over the years with Trevor and yet I am constantly getting compliments on how well-behaved he is, how well-mannered he is, etc. There is a woman at the church my family goes to that works at the elementary school Trevor goes to. She told my sister that Trevor is so well-behaved - never out of line - always happy - excellent manners - she wishes all the kids were as well-behaved as Trevor. Talk about a wonderful compliment for Karl and I. We often get down on ourselves thinking we've failed when the kids are giving us heck, but when we hear these compliments we are reminding of really the wonderful job that we have done. Yes, it'snot always easy....no, we aren't perfect and neither are the kids...but we are doing the best we can and we have so much love in this house.

So while today was a nightmare...it's not the first and it sure as hell won't be the last....but one day this too will pass and it will be nothing more than a distant memory.....

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Erin, you are doing exactly what I would. You have to put your foot down and not let your toddler walk all over you or they will continue to do that as they get older. If I see that happening, I feel so bad for the parent, but know it's necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did a great job with Victoria. I hate to see parents not use the opportunity to discipline when they should. Ignore all those hates staring at your amazing parenting skills :)

    ReplyDelete