Thursday, July 29, 2010

Nothing ever prepares you for being a statistic!

I sat down today to watch a video that my niece sent me via Facebook ....the first thing that really caught my eye was the statistic regarding Autism and how 1 in 150 are diagnosed now. This is a vast difference from the 1 in 10,000 that were diagnosed back in 1980. As I read those words over and over, it struck me that nothing ever prepares you for being a statistic. If you had asked me 10 years ago what Autism was, I don't think I could have given you even an educated guess. I didn't personally know anyone with Autism. After Trevor was born, I started hearing more about Autism but still didn't know much at all. In the past 2 yrs since Trevor was diagnosed, I can't turn around without hearing about someone who is Autistic...be it on the news, in a magazine, in a book, in a movie, etc. Autism is everywhere. And despite it being everywhere now, as I said, nothing ever prepares you for being that 1 in 150 statistic.






Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment