Thursday, October 21, 2010

Recipe Thursday!

I am trying to be better about blogging and I thought it would kinda be fun to do a weekly recipe! And so with that, "Recipe Thursday" was born! Viola! So creative, aren't I? LOL!

Tonight's recipe comes courtesy of Rasa Malaysia: Easy Asian Recipes

Cashew Chicken

Recipe: Cashew Chicken (腰果鸡丁) Ingredients:
1 boneless & skinless chicken breast, about 10 oz. (cut into small cubes)
1/2 cup cashew nuts
1 small green bell pepper, about 4 oz. (cut into small square pieces)
5 slices ginger
1/4 onion (cut into small square pieces)
Marinate:
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon corn starch
1/2 teaspoon rice wine
Sauce:
1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
3/4 teaspoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons water
3 dashes white pepper powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon rice wine
1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt to taste
Method:
  1. Marinate the chicken meat with the baking soda for 15-20 minutes and then rinse the chicken thoroughly. (Please make sure that the chicken is properly rinsed clean of the baking soda.)
  2. Pat the chicken meat dry with paper towels and then marinate with the rest of the ingredients for 15 minutes.
  3. Mix the sauce together and set aside.
  4. Heat up a wok with 1 tablespoon of cooking oil and stir-fry the chicken meat until the color turns white or half-cooked. Dish out and set aside.
  5. Add another 1 tablespoon of cooking oil into the wok and add in the ginger slices, bell peppers and onions.
  6. Stir-fry until you smell the peppery aroma from the green peppers and add the chicken meat back in.
  7. Add in the cashew nuts and do a few quick stirs.
  8. Add in the sauce and stir continuously until the chicken meat is cooked and well coated with the sauce. Add salt to taste, dish out and serve the Cashew Chicken hot with steamed white rice.
So I am sure you are reading this and wondering what the heck that baking soda marinate is all about. Well, according to the website:

"Baking soda serves two purposes:
  1. to rid the chicken of any potential smell (I am sure you have had bad experiences eating chicken with a foul chicken-y odor,
  2. to tenderize the meat. Just by looking at my pictures, you can tell that those chicken breast cubes are silky and tender."
Let me just say, do not skip this step! I had never heard of this before trying this recipe and it works! It truly works! The chicken was so incredibly tender and juicy! It really made a difference!

So how was this recipe?

Karl - ***** Karl gave it 5 stars - said it was better than our favorite Chinese place back home! So that speaks volumes! :-)

Kids - *** Both kids picked at it - Trevor ate all the chicken and most of his rice. He's not a fan of green pepper or onion. Though, he did eat a piece of each. Vicky ate her chicken and rice and some green pepper. I think they would probably give it 3 stars if they could.

On a side note, I totally thought I'd have to fix them something else but surprisingly both ate almost all of it. All in all, I think it was a winner and I know I will definitely be making it again for at least Karl and I.

I am so glad I bookmarked this site - I will be trying other recipes from there soon. Karl has requested Sweet & Sour Chicken next! We just might not have to go out to Chinese restaurants anymore! 
Let me know if you make it and what you think! And don't forget to use the baking soda on your meat! 



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment