Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Weaving the Hottest Runway Trends!

Do you ever watch TV or flip through a magazine and wonder how you can be as fashionable as all the celebrities? I know sometimes I look at those runway looks and think to myself, "that would look ridiculous on me" and that it would cost an arm and a leg. But really the truth is, you and I, can have those looks for less!

10 tips for weaving the hottest runway trends into your day-to-day looks:

1. Color - Don't be afraid to flirt with some color in your wardrobe. The truth is, there are very few people who can't pull off color! Don't be afraid to add some color to your wardrobe - be in through a scarf, shoes, piece of jewelry, article of clothing, etc. Take that plain black dress and throw on a geometric patterned scarf full of color - add a chunky bracelet - some fabulous rockin' pumps and hit the road! I find when I am wearing all dark (and yes, sometimes drab colors - black/brown/navy, I just feel kind of "umph", but when I put on something bright and brilliant (fuchsia, light blue, salmon, turquoise, red) I suddenly feel vivacious and alive. Color is your friend!

2. Accessorize - Play up your outfit with fun accessories! Maybe some chandelier earrings, a chunky bracelet, animal print pumps, a hair piece, a bright purse! It's the holiday season - sales are everywhere - next time you are in the mall, treat yourself to a fabulous accessory!

3. Shoes - Oh how I love thee! Shoes are my passion - my obsession! Sometimes I miss working in an office simply because I have no need to wear high heels anymore. There is something sexy about a nice heel in a fabulous color! These days as a stay-at-home-mom, I don't have many reasons to wear high heels, but I still try to find shoes that are in style and funky and fresh but still comfortable and practical for running after a rambunctious preschooler! If you are aren't sure what is in style or what is out there, do what I do and go to some shoes sites and window shop online - I love DSW.com and Zappos.com.

4. Hair - Perhaps you can't afford the stylist to the stars, but surely you can find a hair stylist in your budget who can give you that look you want. Clip pictures from magazines or print them out from the internet and take them with you. You can still get a fabulous cut even if you don't have the wallet that the stars do. I'll let you in on a little secret - I love my stylist - I love my hair cut - she does an awesome job and gives me exactly what I was hoping/aiming for each time and guess where I go? Wal-Mart! Yep, I get my hair cut at the salon at Wal-Mart - it doesn't break the bank but I still get that trendy hairstyle I love.

5. Goodwill/Salvation Army/Garage Sales - Gasp! Yes, it's true - you can sometimes find great items at a steal at the Goodwill/Salvation Army or Garage Sales. My sisters this summer scored some fabulous Vera Bradley purses at a garage sale for next to nothing. I've gotten brand new Tommy Hilfiger apparel before at Goodwill. I've even got the kids name brand clothing - "The Children's Place/Gap/Gymboree/etc" with the tags STILL on. A friend on Facebook just recently posted about scoring a "Coach" purse at the Goodwill. Sometimes people don't realize the treasure they are sitting on and they donate it just to get rid of it and so, you must never discount these places!

6. Shop your own closet - Sometimes we have little treasures hiding amongst our own clothes in our own closet or perhaps even your spouses. Maybe your spouse has a great shirt that you could layer with a cami and leggings. Don't be afraid to repurpose items. One of the things I am some in love with these days is repurposing kids clothing - one of my favorites is taking a girls long sleeve shirt, cut it in half and sew on layers cut from your own old shirts and make a funky and fresh new dress. Check out this tutorial for making a pair of long leggings from an old tshirt - http://kojodesigns.blogspot.com/2009/09/kojo-tutorial-refashion-tshirt-into.html. The possibilities are endless - go look in your closet without any preconceived notions - open your mind - don't be afraid to take outfits apart and pair them up with something else. Say you have a pants suit - take that jacket - put a cotton tank under it - skinny jeans - and a fun accessory or two and you've got a stylist outfit that didn't cost you anything.

7. Put on a little make up. This doesn't have to be a full face of caked on makeup - just some simple gloss and a bit of blush across the apples of your cheeks and some mascara and you'd be amazed at how refreshed you look! I admit, I don't leave the house without some make up on - even if it's just some tinted moisturizer, a lil blush, a sweep of eye shadow, some mascara and some of my chapstick! You don't have to look like you are headed out for Halloween - keep it simple and clean but it does make a difference. When going out at night, try for something like a "smokey" eye. If you are unsure how to accomplish certain make up looks, try googling for help or go to Youtube and search for tutorials. Unsure of what looks good on you, then head over to a place like Macy's where you can get a free makeup session. Yes, they'll try to sell you the products, but you are under no obligation to buy.

8. Jewelry - Sometimes it can be something as simple as putting in earrings that can pull an outfit together. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. There are plenty of good costume jewelry designers at there, that you don't need to break the bank.

9. Purge - Get rid of all the clothes that don't fit properly. There is nothing more depressing then wearing clothes that aren't fitting your body properly! And if you have something of good quality but the fit isn't right, don't be afraid to take it to a tailor. A tailor is your friend when you want clothes that fit you in all the right ways. As a plus size woman, I often find that clothes right off the racks don't fit right in every area - sometimes they need to be tweaked here or there. Don't get discouraged when you shop - keep in mind that you can have something altered if need be.

10. Don't stray - don't stray so far out of your comfort zone that you aren't comfortable walking out of your house. Being fashionable and trendy is all well and good but not if you are uncomfortable. Be you but only the fabulous you!

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Kenmore blogging program, making me eligible to get a $50 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here."

Enter the Kenmore Runway to Washer Sweepstakes
Grand prize includes a Kenmore washer and dryer, a year’s supply of Tide®, and a trip for two to NYC with seats at Thakoon’s show where you’ll meet the designer, and receive items from his collection.

More About Kenmore Washers and Dryers
Introducing the Kenmore Elite Top-Load High Efficiency Washer. With Smart Motion™ Technology, it custom-blends six different wash motions to ensure the right cleaning and care for your clothes. Even designer styles from Thakoon’s collections have been washed in this machine.

About Sears, Roebuck and Co.
With its nationwide network of Sears stores, including 848 full-line stores, Sears, Roebuck and Co. is a leading U.S. retailer of apparel, automotive and home products and services for families across the country. Sears also offers a variety of merchandise and services through its Web sites, sears.com and landsend.com, a variety of specialty stores and catalogs.

More info: http://www.kenmore.com

Twitter: @mysears

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/kenmore





Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment