Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year - New Everything!

Happy New Year!!! Hard to believe it's 2011. I was just speaking to some digital scrapbooking friends about how it seems like just yesterday that everyone was in an uproar over Y2K and how the world was going to end - and look - 11 years later and the world still turns on its axis. A lot has happened over the last 11 years - we've moved twice...errr...three times - we've had two children - Karl's changed careers - the kids have started school - so much change and yet on the same hand, so much still the same.

I've been neglectful of this blog over the last month. It's hard to keep up with everything going on during the holidays - there is baking to be done - decorations to be hung - stocking to fill - gifts to wrap - relatives to visit - cards to mail out - all the while still maintaining the house and laundry and of course, the every day goings-on of ones family. I let my blog slip to the side - I thought about blogging several times but it was a fleeting thought.

We had a wonderful Christmas! The kids slept in till 7:00a.m. - which is practically unheard of in these parts of the Casey family! I went down stairs first so that I could be ready with the camera to take pictures of their little smiling faces as they saw the bounty that was under the tree. And trust me, it was so well worth it! After opening gifts (which we were greatly blessed this year - between family, friends, Trev's case manager, his behavioral worker and a very real secret "Santa" - we had more than we could have ever imagined.), I went to make breakfast. Unfortunately, in the middle of making said breakfast, I dumped a bowl of bacon grease over and it spilled onto my hands, giving myself a pretty nasty burn. I had to finish making breakfast, make pies, prepare dinner, bath Vicky and take my own shower and wash dishes all while my fingers continued to burn. We laugh now though - it's not a holiday till I've either hurt myself or some other catastrophe!

Karl's mom joined us and we had a lovely Prime Rib dinner - followed by pie and coffee. The kids loved having Grammy over for the day. And the also enjoyed their new gifts.

It's been a long week with both kids home from school. The kids are absolute angels - true joys - when they are alone with me - just one on one. Get them together and it's a constant battle for attention - complete with screaming, yelling, horns and fangs, pushing, kicking, etc. Sigh... I love having them home but I won't lie and say I am not looking forward to Monday morning. I have every intention of seeing them both off on their respective buses - locking the door - turning off the ringer (actually our new cordless phones have a 'do not disturb' feature which is so cool) - and climbing back into bed till I have to finally get up to get ready for Vicky to come home at 11:30a.m.

Vicky has actually been home for three weeks now - she had her tonsils and adenoids out on December 14th ...finally!! Surgery went very well - she responded fabulously! Her recovery has been nothing short of amazing. When they said kids are resilient and bounce back, I had no idea they literally meant "bounce" because this kid came home from the hospital and you'd never have known she had surgery - she was bouncing around - up and down the stairs - chasing Trevor - yelling - giggling - you name it! She complained it hurt only a couple times and that was at night. I suspect that her throat had started to dry out while sleeping. She's back to eating normally now - no more gagging/choking on food. She sleeps so much better - again, no more gasping for air while sleeping, she no longer stops breathing, she sounds like a kitten purring if anything. She's done so well!

So here we are - 2011.

I've decided that this will be a year of change. For starters, I was reading Ali Edwards blog and she talks about having a word for the year. You can read her full entry here. And I thought it was a fabulous idea!

So my word for 2011 is:     NO

Yep, I choose the word "no".  I realize it sounds awfully negative but I promise you it's not. See, I have a hard time saying "no" to people.

"Can you take me to the store?"
"Can you take me to the Dr.?"
"Can you design xyz?"
"Can you go here?"
"Can you look xyz up for me online?"

Those are just a few of the examples of times I have a hard time saying "no" - even though these things end up impacting my whole family - these tasks may seem small, but they take time away from my family - precious time away from my kids. I need to have a backbone - I need to say "no" more to them and "yes" more to me.

When my kids ask,

"Can we play a game?"
"Can we watch a movie?"
"Can we go to the park?"
"Can we play outside?"
"Can we read a book?"
"Can we play Play-Doh?"

I want to be able to answer with a "yes" without feeling guilty that I let someone else down. Guilt is a nasty little emotion I tell ya.

But the buck stops here! I will no longer be anyone's whipping post and gopher girl.

Well, I think I should end now...tomorrow I'll continue about the changes in store for 2011...for now I bid you "goodnight"....





Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment