Wednesday, January 19, 2011
I don't know about you, but we are settling into the new year quite nicely here. So far, we haven't really had any sickies, no major catastrophes (though we did have a car scare - ugh), no trips to see specialists, etc. It's been relatively quiet and calm.
I was given the opportunity today to blog about simple changes that we all can make to better our lives in this new year. As you know we are on a journey to get healthy here in our house, so a lot of these tips will be based on that.
So without further ado:
1. Reduce your caffeine intake. Or cut it out completely! I was a die-hard caffeine addict. There were times where I would drink a whole pot of coffee myself. Then last year, we got our Kuerig and having cup after cup of coffee or iced coffee, was that much easier. I was totally caffeine dependent. I lived and breathed caffeine. But, it's been 15 days since I've had regular coffee. I've switched to decaf and actually, I only have coffee now a few times a week. I've made the switch to more decaf tea - esp. green tea.
2. Cut out the soda. In addition to being a caffeine addict, I was very much addicted to diet soda. I had alluded myself into thinking that because it said "diet", that it was OK for me to drink. But that isn't the case. It's still full of man made ingredients that just aren't a necessary part of my diet. I've had maybe 3 glasses sodas in the last 19 days.
3. Water! Water! Water! So, in cutting out the soda and coffee, I am drinking a lot more water. Besides all the obvious benefits, one that really stands out is how much clearer my skin is - my complexion is definitely improving thanks to all the water.
4. In taking better care of ourselves, I've chosen a word for the year. This year my word is "no". That may seem like a strange word, but by saying "no" more to others, I'll be saying "yes" more to myself. I've got to stop spreading myself thin trying to take on everything and focus more on myself. Let's face it, stress isn't good for ones health, physically or mentally.
5. Not only do I want to take care of myself better physically, and mentally, I want to feed myself through learning and enrichment. I want to read more. I joined, www.paperbackswap.com and now I get "free" books. It's a great way to recycle books I've already read and get new ones that I want without going broke. I've got 6 books on their way to me right now and 3 sitting here already just waiting for me here now. I find reading such a great way to keep my mind healthy and active.
6. Get active! I am finding being active doesn't mean having to join an expensive gym. It can be taking the stairs instead of the elevator, parking further from the door when going to Wal-Mart, walking the mall, playing a game on the Wii. I've been getting a great workout in playing the Wii boxing game. Next month we hope to get a treadmill and then I will be walking/running every day. I am finding I feel so much better and sleep better after I've been active during the day. The days I lounge around and do nothing, I don't sleep good, and I am more apt to make poor food choices.
So there are some changes we are making here in our house and really these are changes that anyone could make. Have some other ideas you'd like to share? What changes are you making? I'd love to hear what they are!
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Simply Orange® blogging program. If I am one of the first 65 blogs received by SocialsMoms, I will receive a $25 Target gift card and a gift pack that includes a Simply Orange® cooler bag and logoed fleece."