Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Sharing Happiness

What are the little ways you share happiness with those around you?

We live in a hectic, fast-paced world. Go! Go! Go! We have home life commitments, work commitments, social commitments...heck, these days even our children have commitments. It's easy to get lost in the fray. It's easy to neglect those around you - assuming that they know you care and love them.

But when it comes right down to it, don't we all enjoy a special treat now and again? Don't we all appreciate a little recognition once in a while? Don't we all really want to be happy?

What ways do you share happiness with those around you?

I think for me the biggest one would be baking. I love to bake - to tackle a recipe head-on - to watch the pictures in the cookbook come to life. And when they have, I enjoy so much sharing those yummy goodies with those around me. Last year when Trevor was in the hospital, it was around St.Patrick's Day. We went to visit him one day and I brought along a fresh loaf of homemade Irish Soda bread for the staff. It was just a little way to put a smile on their face and let them know we appreciated the care they were giving our son under the circumstances.

That is just one way to share some happiness, but there are so many more. It can be something as simple as a smile to a stranger in passing at the store. Perhaps they are having a bad day, and you are the first person who has smiled at them that day. A smile - such a simple (and free) gift that truly comes from within the soul.

Another way to share some happiness is paying for the person behind you while you are at your favorite drive-thru. I've had this happen to me before and it's such a fabulous surprise - it really does just brighten my day. A free cup of coffee - what could be better?

One of the other things I enjoy doing is to just post a quick message on Facebook to someone who I am thinking about. Perhaps someone who hasn't been very active recently or you know they are going through a tough time - just leaving a few words of kindness can mean all the world. I know when Trevor was in the hospital, the messages like that meant so much to us as a whole family. If you don't have Facebook , you can always send an email or take the traditional route and send a "Thinking of You" card. Hand-written notes are hard to come by these days, what a lovely gesture it would be.

Another way I like to spread happiness is to surprise the kids with a treat - perhaps a movie rental from the RedBox or a small piece of candy. It's just something small and inexpensive but it lets them know that I was thinking about them even when they aren't with me.

Those are just a few of the ideas that I like to use regularly to share happiness with those around me. We never know what someone else is going through - it doesn't take much to spread happiness!

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Hershey's blogging program, for a gift card worth $25 and some product. For more information on how you can participate, click here.”




Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Nice ideas on sharing some happiness. The world could use a big dose of this!

    ReplyDelete