Thursday, July 28, 2011

Let's get cookin'!

Today is day three of making new recipes and I am really enjoying it. I admit, I live for this kind of stuff. I love the challenge of trying new recipes - different and possibly new ingredients - new cuisines that I've never attempted before. 

Tonight I made Thai Shrimp - I found the recipe in the August 2011 "Taste of Home" magazine. I tweaked the recipe a bit though. If you would like to find the original recipe, check out the magazine. 

Here is my version:

1 lb. uncooked, peeled, deveined shrimp (large or jumbo)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tbsp lime juice, divided
1 shallot, chopped
1 tsp minced fresh ginger root
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
10 cherry tomatoes (I couldn't get cherry tomatoes, so I used 20 grape tomatoes) halved
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 coconut milk
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

1. Sprinkle shrimp with salt, pepper and 1 tbsp lime juice. 
Ok, so this picture is before the salt/pepper/lime. I bought frozen shrimp, just to keep this recipe budget-friendly and cleaned them myself. 

2. In a large skillet, (I used cast iron because I think it's the best thing since sliced bread pretty much), saute the shallot, ginger and garlic in olive oil for 1 minute. Add shrimp; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. 

3. Add tomatoes, stock, coconut milk, curry powder, pepper flakes and remaining lime juice to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes until sauce is slightly reduced, stirring occasionally. Add shrimp; heat through. Serve with white rice.


And the final product:

This was incredibly good. Not one for the kids unless they enjoy hot and spicy foods. This was even a bit spicy for Karl,I think next time I'll bring the 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes down to 1/4 of a tsp. But this is definitely a keeper! And has really spurred my desire to try more Thai cuisine. 

I'd definitely give this one two thumbs up!!!

On top of that today I also made my first bath of freezer jam ever. I can't believe how incredibly simple it is. It has to sit for 24 hours before I can refrigerate or freeze it, so I can't have any till Saturday and the wait is killing me! LOL! 

Up for tomorrow's supper is: 

Chicken with Shallot Sauce

Be on the look-out for the next blog post! 






No comments:

Post a Comment