Monday, August 15, 2011

Food Aspirations

It is no secret that I have a definite love of food. I love to cook and bake. I love to try new recipes. I love to create new foods. I love to watch my family  as they experience something new that I made just for them. 

A week or so ago, I made *my* pizza - which consists of crust, thinly sliced tomatoes, fresh basil and fresh mozzarella (real mozzarella - not that crap that is mass produced.)

And it hit me as I was making it that the smell of basil is really kind of sensual. It's intoxicating. I love all things basil - especially fresh basil. I use it whenever I can. If you haven't cooked with fresh basil, you must. It's quite different then buying dried basil in a plastic jar. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So yesterday I made ribs - usually when I make them I put them in the crock pot, cover them in bbq sauce and let them cook. But my crock pot broke, so I was reduced to cooking them in the oven. Why didn't we grill them? Well the answer is easy. We have a neighbor who makes being outside hellish - she's in every one's business and we hate to be out there. 

But back to the ribs - they were fantastic. I rubbed them first with some liquid hickory smoke - to help make up for the fact that they weren't being actually grilled. Then I made a dry rub consisting of brown sugar, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and chili powder and rubbed that on each rib. I put them in the oven at about 250 degrees and let them slowly cook. Once they were done - about 2 or so hours - I started basting them with bbq sauce. By the time they were done, they had so many layers of flavor built up - the sauce had caramelized a bit on the edges and it was incredibly wonderful. I had nailed it perfectly. 

I got to thinking about some other recipes that I'd like to tackle and perfect. 

1. Souffle
2. Beef Wellington
3. Eggs Benedict
4. Yorkshire Pudding
5. Sauerbraten

I will say though, that it's this love of food that hurts my attempts at weight loss. I've got to find a way to balance my love of all things food and loosing weight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment