Friday, September 30, 2011

I'll take those Schweddy Balls, thank you very much!

Recently, Ben & Jerry's released a new ice cream flavor - Schweddy Balls. In case you aren't versed in "Sweddy Balls", it is taken from a skit on Saturday Night Live.

Saturday Night Live - NPR's Delicious Dish - Schweddy Balls - Video - http://www.nbc.com

And as with most things these days, it's caused an uproar among some parents. Apparently, some parents find
"Schweddy Balls" offensive.

And to that I say, "Are you serious?" And trust me when I say that was the most polite I could be about this - I try not to curse on here if I can help it, so I am sitting on my hands instead of saying what I really think!

There are so many issues that one could stand behind - education, politics, financial state of our country, bullying, etc, and yet the best we can do is go after Ben & Jerry's for making an ice cream called "Schweddy Balls"?

I heard on tv the other day that some parents were up in arms over how they were going to explain it to their kids. Why for the love of God must some people make things more difficult then they need to be?

Let's play this out for a moment....

Child: Mom, what's Schweddy Balls?

Mom: It's an ice cream flavor named after a comedy skit on television

See, if a kid has never heard of Schweddy Balls then they aren't going to put 2 + 2 = men's scrotum.

I might be 35yrs old, but it wasn't that long ago that I was a child and so I like to think I can speak with some sense of experience. When you, as the parent, make something taboo, it suddenly becomes most interesting to kids. When you take something that kids wouldn't even think twice about and start shouting from the roof tops how bad it is and imploring people to boycott it and write the company to discuss it with, kids ears perk up, they take notice, they start talking and before you know it, they are figuring out ways to sneak and get it.

I remember in November of 1984, when Madonna's song, "Like a Virgin" came out. I wasn't allowed to listen to much radio, but had heard it somehow. I didn't know that the word "virgin" was so taboo - hell, I didn't even know what it meant. To my 8 yr old self, it was just.a.word. So there I am singing it one day and one of my older sisters freaks out and tells me never to say that word again. There was no explanation of why not to say it, or anything. And let me just say as a mother myself now, I do not understand why "virgin" is so taboo. I mean, yeah, I don't really want the kids to go around using the word like they do the word "cool" but it's not a dirty word by any means.

So anyways, the word "virgin" suddenly became appealing and when no one was around, I sang my little 8 yr old heart out..."Like a virgin...."

It's this type of knee-jerk reaction by adults that make things so appealing to kids.

Here's the deal - if you don't like that Ben & Jerry's makes an ice cream called, "Schweddy Balls", then don't freakin' buy it. Simple as that. But do not tell me that I shouldn't buy it. And don't ask me to join you in boycotting it.

Nothing irritates me more than when other people try to determine what values and morals the whole world should have. As a grown woman, I am quite capable to determining morals and values on my own.

I really think that for some, it's easier to try to get rid of something that bothers them, instead of actually parenting their kids. Hey, instead of talking to your kids and using these things are a teaching tool, let's boycott it and demand they take it off the market. Step up to the damn plate - instead of trying to make things go away, do your damn job and parent your children!!!

So I say, bring on the "Schweddy Balls"...and if anyone from my local supermarket is reading, can you please get some in? I keep looking for it! LOL!





Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment