Sunday, September 18, 2011

Picture-A-Day

Picture-A-Day: 16 & 17

Yesterday we took a ride and ended up at the former Loring Air Force Base, (Limestone, Maine). It is such a sad thing to me - seeing this huge air base sitting basically unused. The government closed the air base in 1994. Unfortunately, the effect it had on those of us living in Aroostook County, was a rather large one. It definitely affected the economy of Aroostook. I never got to go on the base while it was still an active air base, but I've looked at lots of pictures online, heard the stories my dad has told and can imagine in my mind's eye what it must have been like back then. So, as I said, seeing it sit unused it just a sad thing to me. Sure, some civilian businesses have moved in and some other gov't agencies (like DFAS), it's just not the same. It's a major part of our local history. 
I didn't get a chance to post this yesterday or take a new picture for today, so I am going to post several to make up for that! 

Tower
 One of the hangers.
 It is my understanding that this was a gym/rec center.
Close-up of the tower.
 This is a United States Army Kwajalein Atoll plane - not sure what the story is with this plane but I am trying to find out from local news sources.

 Former chapel
 Former heating plant that they had tried to implode, only it didn't happen. So now they are tearing it down. 









Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment