Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Toddlers & Tiaras

I just happened to see a commercial for the TLC show, "Toddler & Tiaras". I admit, I have watched it a few times when nothing else interested me. First, let me clear the air by saying that I have nothing against pageants ...under certain circumstances. My senior year of high school I participated in a scholarship pageant. Admittedly, I did it on a lark - I knew I'd never win - big girls just don't win those things - esp big girls who aren't the popular girl in school. But, I wanted the scholarship, so I went for it anyways.

So that said, when I see "Toddlers & Tiara's" I am livid. I don't get it! Really, I just can't wrap my mind around it.

When I have watched, what I have seen is a group of mothers (and some fathers) in a crappy conference room in some hotel in the middle of nowhere, with some no name judges, deciding which over-sexualized toddler is cutest. What happened to natural beauty?

I see little girls getting fake hair pieces...fake teeth ("flippers")...more make-up than Tammy Faye Baker....spray-on tans...facial waxing....the simple, honest truth is, these little girls look more like live "Bratz"
 dolls then real children.

When I see parents holding down toddlers to paint their eyelashes with mascara while the child flails and screams, it makes my blood boil.

I know I said it before, but I am going to say it again, I just can't wrap my mind around it.

Here's my own observation...I see a lot of mom's who seem to be living vicariously through their child and are pushing their child to be something they wish they were. And I dare anyone to tell me differently. Because you can't tell me that a 9 mth old baby can vocalize that they want to do pageants...you can't even tell me that a 2, 3, 4 yr olds can express the desire to be in pageants. You wouldn't let a three year old decide where you shop, where you eat, what you eat, etc...so you can't tell me that a 3 yr old has the ability to fully understand the ramifications of the pageant world. You can't tell me that these children truly would choose to spend those hours practicing "walking" around their living rooms instead of running free playing.

And what comes from these pageants and winnings? If it weren't for the TLC show, the world would have no idea that these children had won anything. The fact of the matter is these children didn't win anything....the made-up mini adult on the outside won!

What is wrong with letting children, esp our little girls, just being themselves?

What is wrong with crooked/missing baby teeth?

What is wrong with natural hair - be it curly, straight, short, long?

What is wrong with a natural complexion?

What message are we sending our daughters when we take them to be waxed, coiffed, tanned, and given fake teeth?

Victoria will be 4 in about two months and she is an all natural beauty. She has a personality that shines. She has an amazing smile and beautiful eyes and perfect nose and yes, she even has a rather large birthmark on her face, and yet even with that, she is amazingly beautiful. I don't need to make her look like a little mini prostitute and parade her around some other parents in a cheesy hotel room to know she is beautiful.

We live in a world where we have heels on toddler shoes, padded bras for 7 yr olds, bikini panties for even toddlers, and little girls modeling for magazines in provocative poses. I am not a prude. I am not a square.But this is just too much. Is it any wonder why we have young girls with eating disorders? We are sending the wrong message to our daughters.

I wish TLC would remove "Toddlers & Tiara's" ...because I think the more air time the show gets, the more these parents will continue to think that this is acceptable and ok. If I ruled the world, these parents would be charged with child abuse because no child should be subjected to what these little children are subjected to.




Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment