30 Days of Lists: Day 1
A Few Things About Myself
1. I grew up in Brooklyn, New York. We moved to Maine just a few months before I turned 17. New York will ALWAYS be home. Yes, I've lived in Maine more then I lived in NY, but that was where I was born, where so many firsts took place in my life - it is home -plain & simple.
2. Growing up I dreamed of being a lawyer. I had my colleges all picked out - the whole path laid out. After we moved to Maine that all changed. Funny the way life works sometimes.
3. I always thought I wanted four children. I see now how full my hands are raising two kids - one being special needs. Often times I find myself wishing I was having another, esp when I see those around me with new babies, but I am really glad that we stopped - our family feels complete and that's all that matters.
4. I love to read. No really, I love to read. I was the kid with the flashlight under the blanket trying to read just a few more pages before finally succumbing to sleep. If I could get paid to read, I'd be in heaven. And I don't mean I want to be an editor. I mean, I just would love to get paid to go pick out books randomly, read them, and get paid. A girl can dream, right? LOL
5. I am a rather strict mom. I don't tolerate a lot of crap from my kids. I have high expectations. Yes, they get to be kids, but they need to know that mom & dad is in charge. I have no problem saying "no" . They have set bedtimes that are typically earlier then their peers but I feel they need the sleep. They have chores. There are house rules. And their are consequences when rules are broken. I am a hardass on my kids...I know it...they know it. I think it's cause of how I was raised - my parents were hard on us, but in turn I've never been on drugs, I've never gone to jail, I've never broken the law. I think it paid off for my parents and so I tend to parent in some of the same ways.
6. Despite the fact that like any kids, they can drive me utterly insane, lol, I am so incredibly proud of my kids. They are funny (I swear they get that from me lol), they are pretty/handsome (again, I'll take this one for the team and claim credit lol), extremely smart (uhhh...sometimes I think they didn't get it from me lol). I was just saying to hubby last night that I am so glad that thus far (grades 1 and grade 5) we've never gotten calls from the school for behavior issues. They go to school, they follow the rules, they don't fight, they do as their told, they are polite and respect their teachers. So while at home they sometimes get on every nerve, I know when they leave in the morning and go to school that they are on their best behavior. Shoot, I am gonna pat myself on the back! LOL :-)
I guess that was more than a few things...and heaven knows I could have written more but will stop for now! :-)
Come back tomorrow for Day 2 of 30 Days of Lists!