Saturday, February 21, 2015

Big Mac Salad? Yes, that's a thing! LOL

I admit I used to have a thing for the golden arches! It was a cheap and easy "meal" on the run. But let's face it, it's not exactly the epitome of healthy by any stretch of the imagination. I always said I would never introduce my kids to that stuff and yet I did. And honestly I still feel guilty about that -it's one of those things that I wish I could undo. After I had my gastric bypass surgery in 2012, fast food became a very rare thing - almost every single time I've had it since then, I find myself sick, physically sick. It's not a pleasant experience. My lil pouch doesn't like it and truth be told neither do my taste buds - it's greasy, 99% of the time lukewarm (and let's be real - who enjoys a lukewarm burger? certainly not me!) and full of calories and not the good kind. That said one of my favorite things to get there had been the Big Mac. But even if it didn't make me sick, there is no way I could eat one of them now - the amount of bread alone would do my poor lil pouch in! Last week I was browsing Pinterest, something I often do in my boredom, lol and saw a recipe for a Big Mac Salad and immediately went to the website to see what it entailed. Needless to say I made it this past week! I wish I had taken some pictures but my camera batteries were charging at the time and so I didn't get to! Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

Let me just say that maybe a Big Mac salad sounds crazy but it really was delicious! Next time I make it, I am going to use ground chicken instead of ground beef simply because we are getting away from eating a lot of ground beef. Seems the whole family has come to prefer ground chicken over ground beef or even the ground turkey! 

You can find the recipe HERE  on the Can You Stay for Dinner blog! Check out some of the other recipes while you are there! 

Cheeseburger Salad with Big Mac Dressing
dressing adapted from Top Secret Recipes
makes 4 servings
2 tablespoons full-fat mayonnaise
2 tablespoons full-fat sour cream or yogurt
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons water
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon minced white onion
1 teaspoon sugar
dash Tabasco sauce, or hot sauce
1 teaspoon salt, divided
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large sweet onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound lean ground beef sirloin
1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
dill pickle slices (optional)

In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sour cream, ketchup, water, vinegar, relish, onion, sugar, Tabasco, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium. Add the onion and saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the ground beef and cook for about 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally and using the spatula to crumble the meat.
Add the garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant. The meat should no longer be pink; if it is, continue to cook until browned. Remove pan from heat and set aside while you assemble the salads.
Divide the romaine, tomatoes, and cheese evenly among four large bowls or plates. Divide the beef mixture evenly among the salads. Drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons dressing. Serve immediately.

Nutrition Information for 1 Serving (1/4th of Entire Recipe): Calories 445, Total Fat 24.8 g, Total Carbohydrate 13.1 g, Dietary Fiber 4.1 g, Sugars 1.2 g, Protein 43.1 g

Now I should note that because Karl and I have both had gastric bypass, we eat a lot less - so we got about 6-7 servings out of this vs. the 4 the recipe says. And of course, the more servings the less calories, fat, etc. When I make it with ground chicken next time that will also reduce the calories and fat. I imagine if you used reduced fat or fat free mayonnaise, etc, you could reduce the calories even more. Either way you still have something much fresher and much tastier than what you get through a drive-thru window! 

No comments:

Post a Comment